I am an outgoing individual of many talents; you will always find me teaching, blogging or indulging in graphic design projects for the local community. My main interests lie in the Spanish language, Hispanic cultures, multi-media, and the fast-paced journalism industry. My main objective at this time is to use and strengthen my writing skills and knowledge of creative media.
My interests in culture, language and creative media have evolved into a passion during the last eight years. I have studied abroad, traveled between three unique Pacific islands every year and immersed myself in various island cultures. I initially picked up photography and graphic design as a way to document my experiences and while it became a fulfilling way to express myself, I started to use my skills to help certain art and literary organizations.
I am an active member of the Oahu community and in Guam. I have been involved in educational events and programs that help to benefit students in Hawai’i. This includes maintaining an art and culture blog showcasing the beauty of the Pacific Islands that I call home: Hawaii, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands.
COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING MANAGER
Easter Seals Hawaii
3/2013 – Present
Develop and implement a marketing and public relations strategies and maintain brand identity. Build and maintain solid relationships with local media, working with them in seeking publicity or promoting services, events and fundraisers. Develop and maintain a vision for ESH’s website, social media campaigns. Generate an online presence for ESH through writing articles for the ESH blog, taking photos and documenting ESH’s activity in the community. Design, write and edit newsletters, brochures, flyers, invitations, campaign collateral materials and advertising.
SOCIAL MEDIA SPECIALIST / PUBLIC RELATIONS
Ekadanta International Group
8/2012 – Present
Write press releases, coordinate with media, manage talent for events, manage social media and blogs for various local events and nonprofits.
Hawaii Pacific University
9/2011 – 5/2013
Produce lesson plans and teach basic Spanish and culture in a university class setting.
SPANISH GRADUATE ASSISTANT
University of Hawaii at Manoa
1/2010 – 5/2011
Produce lesson plans and teach elementary level Spanish, culture and literature.
GRAPHIC ARTIST / SOCIAL MEDIA SPECIALIST
4/2011 – 5/2011 Univision Hawaii Honolulu, HI
Experience in graphic design (logo, flyers, etc.), handling social media public relations through Facebook, Twitter and online blogs.
PUBLIC RELATIONS / WRITER / SOCIAL MEDIA SPECIALIST
Hawaii Pacific Entertainment
1/2009 – 1/2010
Experience in writing articles and promotional content (including website content, brochures, business proposals, company projects and coordinated company promotions through social media).
NEWS PRODUCER / ASSIGNMENT DESK EDITOR / ONLINE PRODUCER
KHNL NBC News
5/2008 – 1/2009
Produce newscasts, writing and producing content for newscasts, generating story ideas, story assignment, coordinating with public relations managers and website management.
INTERN / REPORTER
6/2007 – 8/2007 Honolulu Star Bulletin Honolulu, HI
Conduct interviews, write articles, contribute to news content, generate story ideas, coordinate with public relations managers and public information officers.
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Master’s Degree in Spanish (completed in 5/2011)
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism and Spanish (completed in 12/2008)
Course of Study: Spanish (MA) and Journalism (BA)
University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras
Spanish Certificate (completed in 2006)
Sacred Hearts Academy
Class of 2003, Honolulu, HI
- Produce marketing and public relations plans.
- Secure media coverage of events.
- Organize community events.
- Writing news and feature articles, writing/producing/shooting/editing video segments, producing newscasts.
- Graphic design, blogging, social media promotions (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, WordPress, Flickr, Yelp, Instagram, etc.)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite 5 (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Adobe Media Encoder, Dreamweaver), Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel), Final Cut Pro, Aperture, iWork (Keynote, Numbers, Pages)
- Producing lesson plans, teaching language, culture and literature in Spanish.
- A member of the Spanish Honor Society Hawaii Chapter
- Freelance graphic designer and photographer
- Presented research at the LAIS Graduate Symposium at the University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Moderator in the LAIS Undergraduate Research Symposium (2010 and 2011) at the University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Assistant for ESPN production during the coverage of the 2007 UH football season
- Contributing writer at DISfunkshion Magazine
For a list of references and writing samples, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.